Welcome to the Anger Management course. Simply put, anger management is the process of controlling anger before this anger controls you. Anger can be an incredibly damaging force, costing people their jobs, personal relationships, and even their lives when it gets out of hand. However, since everyone experiences anger, it is important to have constructive approaches to manage it effectively.
This course will help teach participants healthy ways to express their anger, identify anger triggers, as well as techniques to de-escalate an angry individual. It is not always possible to eliminate the things that enrage you. What is possible however, is learning how to gain control and manage your anger effectively.
By the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- Understand anger dynamics in terms of the anger cycle and the fight or flight theory.
- Know common anger myths and their factual refutations
- Know the helpful and unhelpful ways of dealing with anger
- Know techniques in controlling anger, particular reading anger warning signs, using coping thoughts, exercising relaxation techniques and blowing off steam
- Understand the difference between objective and subjective language
- Know tips in identifying the problem
- Express a feeling or position using I-messages
- Know skills and techniques in making a disagreement constructive, including effective negotiation and solution-building
- Reflect on one’s hot buttons and personal anger dynamics
- Know alter, avoid, and accept ways of responding to an anger-provoking situation
- Understand the energy curve and how it can help in responding to someone else’s anger
- Learn and practice de-escalation techniques
- Gain an integrated view of anger management and how it can be best practiced